Central to the development of the Athletics Strategic Plan were the seven institutional Strategic Goals included in the Old Dominion University Strategic Plan. The seven strategic Goals included:
- Reaffirm ODU Athletics' Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Ensure alignment of Athletics' Mission, Vision and Core Values, priorities, and initiative with those of the greater University.
- Identify the priorities, goals, and specific objectives that will enable ODU Athletics to fulfill its Mission and achieve its Vision.
- Identify specific initiatives that will be implemented to assist ODU in reaching its goals and objectives.
- Provide a management and planning tool for the Director of Athletics and Athletics Staff.
- Provide an analysis of Title IX compliance to serve as a basis for the development of a Title IX compliance plan which will be included in the Athletics Strategic Plan.
- Enable and foster effective decision-making within the University and, especially, within the Department of Athletics, with a common understanding of Departmental priorities, objectives, and initiatives.